GMC is upping the ante in the off-road truck competition with new updated styling and extreme capability in the 2023 GMC Sierra AT4X AEV Edition. The truck made its debut at the Overland Expo Pacific Northwest, a show devoted specifically to off-roading and overlanding.
“GMC has been a pioneer in the premium off-road space and this Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition raises the bar yet again,” said GMC Global Vice President Duncan Aldred. “Our customers want an uncompromising combination of on-road technology and off-road capability. Leveraging GMC’s unwavering dedication to providing premium trucks and American Expedition Vehicles’ expertise in engineering and integrating performance-driven parts and accessories, this truck provides extreme capability, technology and comfort.”
2023 Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition
Demand in the off-roading and overlanding segments has remained strong despite high gas prices. People are still anxious to get out and explore after being isolated during the pandemic.
Updates on the AT4X AEV include:
- AEV stamped steel front and rear bumpers with heavy duty recovery points
- Winch capability
- Five hot-stamped boron steel skid plates (front approach, steering gear, transfer case, fuel tank and rear differential)
- Race-inspired, laser-engraved 18-inch AEV wheels in gloss black finish with AEV’s signature recessed valve system for added protection from trail damage
- 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires
- Updated front grille and fascia to accommodate the new bumper and larger tires
- Gloss black door handles and a black contrast inner tailgate
- Exclusive AEV branding throughout the vehicle, including on bumpers, embroidered head rests and all-weather floor liners
- Available off-road rocker panel protectors to help shield the sills and frame rails and an optional bolt-on step assist when not off-roading
“The Sierra 1500 AT4X is an incredibly formidable platform when it comes to on- and off-road performance and capability,” said AEV CEO and founder Dave Harriton. “We took our signature approach to help elevate this truck’s inherent off-road capability to the next level. We are confident customers will love the result.”
Built to Perform On and Off-Road
When it comes time to go off-roading, the Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition’s steel bumpers and underbody protection are much stronger than traditional protection. According to GMC, when compared to the 2022 Sierra 1500 AT4X, the AEV Edition features improved off-road performance. The front approach angle increases by more than 27% to 32.5 degrees. The departure angle improves slightly to 23.4 degrees (compared to 23 degrees) and the breakover angle improves to 23.0 degrees (compared to 22.7 degrees). The truck’s ground clearance also improves to 11.2 inches (compared to 10.8 inches).
The AEV edition is built on the Sierra 1500 AT4X trim. The trim package offers an exclusive premium interior. Built with off-roaders in mind, the truck features include Multimatic DSSV dampers, front and rear e-locking differentials and two-speed transfer case. There are different modes for different off-road conditions such as Terrain mode for one pedal driving and Off-Road mode. The truck comes standard with a 6.2L V-8 engine. The AEV edition also features the luxury-focused and tech-infused interior. The dash has 40 diagonal inches of combined digital displays. The interior has full grain leather-wrapped power-massaging front seats and authentic ash wood trim.
The Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition and the new AT4X will be available later in the 2023 model year.
Mary Conway is a professional automotive journalist and has decades of experience specializing in automotive news analysis. She covered the Detroit Three for more than twenty years for the ABC affiliate, in Detroit. Her affection for the Motor City comes naturally. Her father ran a gas station while Mary was growing up, in Wisconsin.
Follow Mary Conway at @maryconwaymedia and send her car news tips for future stories.